Richard Bryant FSA MIFA
Richard Bryant was trained in graphics, typography and book design, and spent his early career in
archaeological illustration and survey. From 1974 - 1978 he was Deputy Field Director on the British
Academy Carthage project. In 1983 he left Western Archaeological Trust, where he managed the drawing
office, and joined Sutton Publishing (Gloucester, later Stroud) as Archaeological Editor, later Academic Director.
At Sutton's he was responsible for the production of history and archaeology journals for a wide range of local and
national societies. From 1996 to the present he has worked as director of Past Historic. He is also principal author
for the Western Midlands volume in the Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Stone Sculpture, due to be published by the British Academy in 2012.
- 1974 ‘Survey report’ in N Hammond (ed) Corozal Project: 1973 Interim Report (Centre of Latin American Studies, University of Cambridge, n.d.), 26-9
- 1978 (with C Heighway) ‘The Church of St Oswald’ in ‘Excavations at Gloucester, Fourth Interim Report’ Antiquaries Journal 58, 106-118
- 1980 ‘Excavations at St Mary de Lode Church, Gloucester’ Glevensis 14, 4-12
- 1980 ‘Roman column bases’ in C M Heighway and A P Garrod, ‘Excavations at nos 1 and 30 Westgate Street, Gloucester, Britannia 11, 87-8
- 1980 ‘St Mary de Lode Church, Gloucester’, CBA Churches Bulletin 13, 15-18
- 1983 ‘Observations at Didmarton Church 1981’ Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society 101, 183-4
- 1986 with C M Heighway, ‘A Reconstruction of the 10th-century church of St Oswald, Gloucester’ in The Anglo-Saxon Church eds L A S Butler and R K Morris, CBA Research Report 60, 188-195
- 1990 ‘The Lypiatt Cross’ Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society 108, 33-52
- 1993 (with J Bayley and C Heighway) ‘A tenth-century bell-pit and bell-mould from St Oswald’s Priory Gloucester’ Medieval Archaeology 37, 224-235
- 1999 (with Carolyn Heighway) The Golden Minster: The Anglo-Saxon church and later medieval priory of St Oswald at Gloucester CBA Research Report 117
- 1999 ‘The Sculpture’ in Heighway and Bryant The Golden Minster, 146-193
- 1999 (with David Viner) ‘A Late Saxon sculptural fragment from All Saints’ Church, Somerford Keynes’ Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society 117, 155-58
- 2003 (with Carolyn Heighway) ‘Excavations at St. Mary de Lode Church, Gloucester, 1978-9’ Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society 121, 155-78
- 2006 (with Steve Bagshaw and Michael Hare) ‘The discovery of an Anglo-Saxon painted figure at St Mary’s Church, Deerhurst, Gloucestershire’, Antiquaries Journal 86, 66-109
- 2007 (with C Heighway) The tomb of Edward II – a royal monument in Gloucester Cathedral
- 2008 (with Richard Gem and Emily Howe) ‘The ninth century polychrome decoration at St Mary’s church, Deerhurst’, Antiquaries Journal 88, 109-64.
- 2009 ‘Anglo-Saxon Cross Shaft’ in J. Vallender: ‘Archaeological excavation adjacent to the Tanners’ Hall, Gloucester, in 1997 and 1998’ Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society 127, 165-169
- 2012 Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Stone Sculpture: Vol. X: The Western Midlands (London, British Academy, forthcoming).